Geneva Motor Show Preview
March 5, 2012 § Leave a comment
Geneva press day tomorrow, plenty of new cars previewed in advance. I’m liking the look of the Hyundai i-oniq (pictured) which is a preview of the company’s future design thinking, and showcases a range-extended powertrain; this comprises a 1.0-litre, three-cylinder petrol engine, lithium-ion batteries and a 109hp electric motor, giving an all-electric range of 120km and a total range of 700km. Overall CO2 emissions are down to 45g/km. Possibly more relevantly (for consumers, at least) Hyundai is also showing the refreshed i20 supermini, range including a 75hp 1.1-litre BlueDrive diesel model emitting just 84g/km.
Have done a more detailed run-down of things electric, hybrid and plug-in here, with plenty of pics, but a further quick A-Z of cars to look out for takes in the following:
- BMW: Chance to take a closer look at the i3 and i8.
- Honda: NSX concept and EV-ster roadster concept, as seen at Tokyo Motor Show last year.
- Infiniti: Emerg-e range-extended sports car.
- Lexus: New RX 450h hybrid SUV, plus first European appearance of the LF-LC hybrid coupe concept and GS 450h/GS 450h F Sport.
- Mercedes-Benz: Vito e-cell van.
- Nissan: e-NV200 van-based seven-seater electric MPV.
- Pininfarina Cambiano concept (a range-extended EV with diesel turbine generator, apparently).
- Renault: Zoe electric supermini, probably Renault’s most important EV yet.
- Rinspeed: Dock+Go (see below; concept based on Smart Fortwo ed with versatile snap-on trailer/generator).
- Suzuki: Swift Range-Extender.
- Toyota: NS4 plug-in hybrid, FCV-R fuel cell and Ft-Bh hybrid concepts (see below).
- Vauxhall/Opel: RAD-e pedelec (electric bicycle).
- Volkswagen:a new development of last year’s petrol-electric plug-in hybrid Cross Coupé concept (Tokyo Motor Show), now with a diesel-electric twin-motor plug-in hybrid drivetrain which nonetheless develops 306hp.This is said to return an overall 157mpg, emit 46g/km and be capable of 137mph.
- Plus out in the Green Pavillion: quadricycle-maker Volteis is to unveil a minimalist Philippe Starck-designed concept car, and there are various interesting microcars including the four-wheeled, four-seater tandem Lumeneo Neoma, the folding/extending two/four-seater AAA Industries 3ai Moduleo, the Synerghetic Tilter, the Belumbury Dany and the Czech EVC Group’s electric-converted Skoda Roomster.