August 3, 2011 § Leave a comment
That McRae electric buggy – aiming to be the first electric vehicle on the Dakar Rally – has done a test run at the Spanish Baja, doing the across-sand 6km in six minutes, 40 seconds. If it had been competing, it’d have come in 13th; it performed “as expected”, says the team.
- Video’s out of the Tesla Model S Alpha testing, on-track; posted at Autoweek, amongst other sites.
- Nissan’s launched an interactive game, aimed at kids, called Planet Zero. The Zero refers to emissions; learn about global warming, wind energy and solar power, and watch CGI icebergs melting. Good way to catch the attention of the next generation of car-buyers and build ‘green’ brand associations, or greenwash? Your call.
- On a practical note, Nissan’s also released a Leaf app for Android users; previous mobile info was iPhone-only (All Cars Electric). And it’s testing a Leaf-to-house energy supply/storage system in Japan (Green Car Congress).
- China’s really going for it with EV-making – but the bulk of its electricity comes from dirty old coal-fired power stations. Some disturbing stats – but better news from India – at Environmental Finance.
- Protean Electric’s retro-fit plug-in hybrid system has been tested at Millbrook in a Vauxhall Vivaro van – and a three-fold fuel economy improvement, to 114mph, has been recorded. All-electric range was over 55 miles. Full story at Green Car Congress.
- Biofuel of the day: wood. Check out the Mercury Cougar-derived ‘Beaver XR7’ at the HuffPo…