June 6, 2011 § Leave a comment
New pictures released of the Tesla Model S Alpha saloon. Alpha’s the first stage of on-road testing, with Beta stage to follow. Full gallery – and video – at Tesla’s site.
- BMW’s new 1-Series range goes on sale in the UK in September. Both manual and automatic versions get auto start-stop (the auto’s now an eight-speed), and a new Eco Pro mode automatically adjusts throttle response for more efficient progress (with fuel saving calculations displayed to the driver). At a later date, a 116d EfficientDynamics model will be available: this delivers 116bhp, returns 74.3mpg and emits just 99g/km of carbon dioxide.
- The Nissan Leaf NISMO RC is going to appear on-track for the first time at Le Mans Vers Le Futur – a support event at the 24 Hours of Le Mans (June 11th-12th). Other cars taking part include the Porsche 911 GT-R Hybrid, Audi e-Tron, Peugeot RCZ Hybrid, hydrogen-fuelled BMWs and a Mazda RX-8, a Tesla Roadster and an electric Andros Trophy ice-racer. The demo laps will take place at 12.10pm in the run-up to the main race next Saturday.
- Rolls-Royce owners aren’t impressed by the all-electric Phantom 102EX, says Wired Autopia. My friends at thechargingpoint.com say it’s ‘sensational’, however.
- Korean EV-maker CT&T’s plan to manufacture in the US appears to have stalled, reports Detroit News. Given that their cars were just 40mph two-seaters, probably no great loss.
- The European Association of Battery, Hybrid and Fuel Cell Electric Vehicles is to hold discussions in Brussels: the European Electric Vehicle Congress (EEVC, 26th-28th October) will involve research institutes, industry figures, NGOs and public authorities.
- Graduates of the automotive design course at Coventry University have shown off their concepts at the annual degree show. Various lightweight/ultra-aerodynamic/electric/hydrogen-fuelled/low-impact studies; I haven’t got copyright-free images to show you here, so check out Autocar’s report.
- Chip Yates, maker/racer of a 190mph/240hp electric superbike, has been testing for a run at Pikes Peak; follow him @chipyates89.