Honda makes a ten-year plan
July 20, 2010 § Leave a comment
Honda CEO Takanobu Ito has outlined a ten-year plan for the car-maker to quickly respond to changes in the market and changing customer demand. The focus is on smaller, lower-CO2, and more affordable vehicles, with development of many more environmentally-friendly cars accelerated. Honda is also pursuing a general restructuring, and refocusing attention on developing markets. Highlights of the plan include:
- A new small diesel engine for European-market models (2012).
- An electric vehicle for Japan and the US (2012, trials from later this year).
- Plug-in hybrids (mid-sized and larger vehicles) for Japan and the US.
- Lithium-ion batteries for the next generation of hybrids, including the new Civic Hybrid.
- ‘Multiple’ new hybrid models, including the upcoming Jazz Hybrid.
- Renewed petrol engine and transmission line-up with improved fuel economy and emissions (2012).
- Work to continue on the FCX Clarity fuel cell car and hydrogen fuelling systems.